* Mecha called "Armours" are piloted by innocent children of regional lords.
* Warriors with energy-producing gems embedded in their flesh called Samurai who have traded their humanity for the ability to spontaneously gain muscle, power and speed (think "The Incredible Hulk with a katana").
* Aloof Taoist sorcerers called Onmyoji use abacus-computer to summon and bind demonic shiki spirits to exert their will.
* Buddhist monks of three major and differing sects--there is not one single form of Buddhism, but three--vie for the hearts of the people, all with philosophies claiming to lead to salvation. Some have developed incredible hand-to-hand combat art to support the people.
* Phenomenally beautiful and cultured geisha-like Kugutsu (mannequins) are crafted from spirit-trees as pieces of art for the rich and powerful, but secretly yearn to become human.
* Shinobi strike from the shadows with incredible Ninjutsu abilities, living and dying for the service of their clans.
* Machine-human Kijin replace have traded in their flesh--and souls--for cold, powerful steel.
* The horned, psychic Oni are the native people of Tenra--feared and hunted by humans--who share a deep connection to the earth and each other.
* Kongohki are peerless killing robots, powered by the amnesiac spirit of a tormented soul.
* Annelidists serve as healers, and have bodies filled with symbiotic native worm-like lifeforms that protect them from harm.
* Secretive Shinto Agents control the world from the shadows, keeping nation fighting nation for a mysterious cause.
Characters are generally grouped by "archetypes"- You choose which one of the dozens of available pre-written archetypes you want to play, and you're ready to begin playing. If you want, you can design your own archetypes from scratch, or combining two or more existing archetypes: An Oni Ninja? Check. A Cyborg Buddhist Monk? Check. A simple peasant Troubador Doctor? Check.
Check back later for more specific details on the playable character types in Tenra Bansho, or check the blog's "Character" category for details!