Almost a decade ago, Japanese artist and game designer Junichi Inoue sat down to create a uniquely and unmistakably "Hyper Asian" (in his own words) Japanese world: A world of magic and technology, of samurai and Taoist sorcery, of powerful mecha and cultured geisha. The world was named Tenra, and the game was named Tenra Bansho, or "Everything in Heaven and Earth". With a rulebook dripping cover-to-cover with high quality anime-style art, a setting rich in culture both real and fantastical, and a revised and simplified rules system that focused with precision on roleplaying and character drama, this game took the Japanese tabletop RPG market by storm and spearheaded both a renaissance and revolution in the Japanese gaming industry.
Years later, this unique and revolutionary game has finally been painstakingly translated into English for play in the West!
Tenra Bansho Zero is a unique tabletop roleplaying experience, and it features:
* PDF Optimization: The PDF bundle (free with every purchase of the game set) contains two versions of the game:
* The original high-quality art-filled full color setting and rules books together in electronic-tablet-optimized US graphic novel size (700 total pages).
* A text-only indexed version of all of the content of the setting and rules books at US Letter/A4 size for easy reference and printing (150 total pages).
* Over 300 unique pieces of art spread throughout the game, 33 full color manga story pages introduces players to the world and setting features, and ten rules explanations in manga form assist with fast rules retention. The art is done by the formidable hand of Junichi Inoue, the fine brush-work of Hiroyuki Ishida, the comical impact of Hayami Rasenjin, and more! WIth layout for the English edition by industry expert Luke Crane (Mouse Guard RPG, Burning Wheel RPG), you've never seen a game like this.
* Two books, incredible content : A full-color Setting book and a black-and-white Rules and Play book. The books together boast a page count of almost 700 total pages! The huge amount of art, combined with the detailed deep-dive explanations and play advice, will give you your money's worth in usable content.
* A rich Japanese setting involving a planet in a constant state of war, where magic fuels technology and the culture is an analogue of the Warring States (Sengoku) era of Japan. Mecha, sorcery, samurai, geisha, Buddhist monks, cyborgs, annelid-users and more make this game a truly unique--and deeply culturally Japanese--experience. See the Game section below for more details!
* A simple-to-understand rules system utilizing regular six-sided dice, cleverly explained in both detailed text examples and amusing full-page manga art. On top of a system of skills, attributes, action and combat is overlaid a deeper system of kabuki theater-style play: Focusing very specifically on play through Acts, Scenes, and Intermissions, the players of this game are both the actors and audience. As actors, they focus on role-play in a scene with other actors. As audience (much like the audience of a kabuki play), they focus on the drama that unfolds, rewarding the players for dramatic actions and cool ad-libbed lines.
* Speed: An entire campaign, a story from start to finish, can be told over the space of one to two sessions! You can then choose to play the same characters in another tale, or perhaps retire them to look at another facet of life on Tenra.
* All-in-One: The original Japanese game had a core rulebook, a supplement, and later several mail-order only mini-supplements. The data/rules contents and much of the art has been ported and folded into the English book set (originally $145 USD for all of that material if you were to buy it as it came out), including errata and designer suggestions. This is a truly updated version of the game!
TENRA BANSHO ZERO: TALES OF HEAVEN AND EARTH
In the Hour of the Ox, a shinobi clan attacked a village under the protection of your regent. No one was left alive. The regent raised her hand and four emerged from the shadows to hunt down the clan and sever the hand that controls them:
* "Ten Blade" Saburo, a cynical but skilled samurai of great renown. The magical red soulgems implanted all over his body allow him to gain incredible muscle, speed and clarity in battle.
* Princess Rasen the armour-rider, the thirteen-year-old daughter of the regent. She pilots Red Hare, a 3-meter-tall mecha killing machine fueled by her innocence.
* Sha-Lazt the Broken Cloud, a persecuted Phoenix Order monk of the indigenous spiritual oni race, whose hands are the ultimate tools of both healing and destruction.
* Emerald Light, a geisha of high breeding and talent, who can enter the dreams of others. Her secret: She is actually a kugutsu mannequin, a doll carved from a sacred tree and given life.
Tenra Bansho Zero is a story-focused role-playing game of epic drama and insane action, set in the world of Tenra: A rich world of high magic and technology, of the ancient side by side with the futuristic. A world of blood and steel, mired in an endless feudal war. There are over a dozen playable character types in the game, including mecha-pilot armour riders, soulgem-studded samurai, onmyoji taoist sorcerers, Buddhist monks of three different orders, skilled shinobi, kijin cyborgs, peerless killing robots, secretive Shinto agents, mysterious ayakashi monsters and more!
Tenra Bansho Zero is easy to learn: With some friends, some six-sided dice and a drive for drama, you'll be engaged in a system that not only rewards dramatic role-playing with character power-ups, but also follows the dramatic structure of an anime series or kabuki play! It is also a fast-paced game: In just one session you can tell a complete story with your friends from start to finish.
Designed and illustrated by master Japanese game designer and manga artist Junichi Inoue, with illustrations by professional manga artists Hayami Rasenjin, Hiroyuki Ishida, and more! Tenra Bansho Zero is fully translated into English and features over 300 unique illustrations and 30 full color plates designed to visually bring new players into the unique world of Tenra. As the easy-to-learn rules are illustrated through several manga, and the rules feature tons of advice and references for players, you will be playing this game with your friends in no time!
EXPERIENCE THE ROLE-PLAYING GAME THAT STARTED A REVOLUTION IN JAPAN, NOW FINALLY AVAILABLE IN ENGLISH!